It’s time for one last hoorah this summer so why not spend it at Smith Mountain Lake! It’s the perfect time to stay at Mariners Landing Resort and enjoy the lake, pools, tennis courts, 18-hole professional golf course, boating, biking, paddle boarding and kayaking. After a fun-filled day, grab a delicious meal and a tantalizing cocktail right on-site at Heath’s Waterfront Grill while overlooking the lake.
If you’re looking for some options for some family fun, here are 10 great ones!
1. Get Out On The Water!
Rent a boat or jet ski right from Mariner Landing or by visiting bwmarina.com to book online. They will get you out on the water in not time. Smith Mountain Lake has so many incredible views and it is a MUST to experience on the water.
2. Introduce the Kids to the Fish at Bridgewater!
No trip to SML is complete without feeding popcorn to the huge fish at Bridgewater Marina. You can throw the popcorn in or have the carp pluck it right from your fingers. Be sure to bring your camera and some money for the popcorn and explore Bridgewater Plaza.
3. Take Advantage of the Park!
Smith Mountain Lake State Park offers swimming, fishing, hiking, biking and walking trails. There are many trails throughout the park for novices to experts that you can enjoy. Bring a picnic and enjoy the beautiful setting at the park.
4. Try Your Hand at Miniature Golf!
This is something all families love to enjoy…a friendly game of putt-putt and it’s only 15 minutes from Mariners Landing. Try Harbortown Mini-Golf at Bridgewater Plaza or Hot Shots Family Fun Center on 122 (near Krogers). Both courses offer a wide variety of holes that are constructed with attention to detail and designed for fun.
5. See A Movie!
We all get so busy in our everyday life that we sometimes are unable to get to a movie theater. Here’s your chance. If the weather is “iffy,” take in a first-run movie at the air conditioned Westlake Cinema, a four-plex theater with stadium seating, concession, and games at the Westlake Towne Center.
6. Sit on the Beach and Relax!
Grab your beach chair and plop it down on the beautiful beach at Mariners Landing and watch your kids swim out to the platform dock and enjoy their last days of summer.
7. Celebrate the Food!
Grab lunch or dinner at Heath’s Waterfront Grill where you can enjoy lakefront views inside or outside on their beautiful deck. Relax and enjoy one of their juicy burgers, crispy fish and chips, delectable pasta dishes, tasty steaks and many more options!
8. Learn About History!
There is so much history surrounding the lake. Be sure to visit the Visitor’s Center at the Smith Mountain Lake Dam. See how electricity is generated and try out the hands-on exhibits. Take a picnic lunch and sit by the overlook and enjoy the view. You can also spend a day on the farm when you visit the birthplace of Booker T. Washington on the Burroughs Tobacco Farm on Route 122, or drive to Bedford and visit the National D-Day Memorial.
9. Take a Sight Seeing Cruise!
If you don’t want to rent a boat, let the Virginia Dare do the driving for you. A sightseeing cruise on a 19th century replica side-wheeler is a unique family experience. Travel aboard the Virginia Dare and see what makes Smith Mountain Lake such a desirable vacation destination.
10. LABOR DAY FEST IN DOWNTOWN MONETA!
On Saturday, September 1st, you can celebrate the Labor Day holiday in Downtown Moneta with food, an adult beverage garden, kid’s activities and live music by Seven Mile Ford. The music will be from 5:30-10:00 p.m. Proceeds from the gate admission benefit Moneta Volunteer Fire Department.
So book your condo or house today with Mariners Landing Hospitality whether it’s just you or 14 of you! There are accommodations to meet all of your needs, just call 540-297-4900 today.
If you’re planning on taking your dog with you on your Smith Mountain Lake vacation, make sure to read through the following tips to make sure you and your furry friend have a safe and enjoyable visit.
1. Don’t Assume That Your Dog Loves The Water. It seems natural for dogs to know how to swim, but not all dog breeds are built for water activities. While some breeds are known for being one with the water, like Labrador Retrievers, dogs with flat faces and shorter legs (English Bulldogs and Pugs) are not known for their swimming prowess. Introduce your dog to the water slowly, and if he or she seems to struggle, then keep them ashore.
2. Buy a Doggie Life Vest. Even if your dog is an expert swimmer, put him or her in a doggie life vest just to be safe.
3. Take Lots of Breaks. Swimming works every muscle in your pet’s body. Make sure they get a break and enjoy some chill time in the shade so that they don’t get overheated or injured.
4. Don’t Drink The Water. Freshwater has algae and parasites, and pool water is full of chlorine. Bring a bowl and plenty of bottled water with you so that your pet can stay safely hydrated.
5. Check for Ticks. Even if you give your pet flea and tick treatment, be diligent about checking and removing ticks from their coats in between water sessions. When left untreated, your pet could become infected with a parasitic infection such as Lyme Disease or Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.
6. Use a Leash. Never let your dog roam unfamiliar area unattended, even if it’s fenced in. Remember, your pet is in a new environment with new sounds, smells, and shiny things to chase after. Having them on a leash will keep them out of harm’s way.
Familiarize yourself with Smith Mountain Lake veterinarians just in case your dog needs medical attention. Remember to pack all medication that your pet is taking and store it properly. Bring plenty of their favorite treats, and a familiar blanket or dog bed from home to ease the transition of being in a new place. Following these simple rules will ensure that you and your dog have a memorable Smith Mountain Lake vacation!
Even though summer is quickly drawing to a close, there’s still time to book one last getaway before the leaves usher in the fall season. And if you haven’t discovered what locals have affectionately dubbed “The Jewel of the Blue Ridge,” then perhaps you should set your sights on Smith Mountain Lake, Virginia.
Whether you’re planning a couple’s getaway, a girl’s weekend, a Labor Day vacation, or a fishing or golf retreat, then check out available listings at http://www.smlvaca.com where you’ll find the absolute best vacation rentals that Smith Mountain Lake has to offer. Browse available rentals, learn more about events happening in the area (including the much anticipated Antique Boat Show September 15th), and book your vacation directly from your desktop, laptop, or mobile device. At Mariners Landing, you can enjoy the many amenities including private beach, outdoor pools, indoor heated pool, hot tub, tennis, golf, walking & biking trail, high-speed Internet, and dog-friendly rental units.
Smith Mountain Lake knows how to celebrate summer. From sailing to wake boarding to backyard barbecues by the dock, families big and small love splashing under the Smith Mountain Lake sun while taking in breathtaking mountain views. And with prices comparable (and oftentimes well below) what you’d pay at a crowded, cliché beach resort, you could have a beautiful condo or house at Smith Mountain Lake with a host of amenities.
So what are you waiting for? Give the summer season the proper send-off by booking your Smith Mountain Lake getaway on smlvaca.com!
Dubbed the “Jewel of the Blue Ridge Mountains,” Smith Mountain Lake offers some of the most gorgeous real estate in the state of Virginia.
It’s got over 22,000 acres of deep blue water embraced by rolling countryside and hardwood forests, and surrounded by serene mountains. It boasts 500 miles of gorgeous shoreline and its essential conveniences include large and modern supermarkets, banks, clinics, libraries, and dozens of independent businesses. Full-service hospitals, including the region’s heart and trauma center are just 45 minutes away.
Smith Mountain Lake offers a wide range of housing options for vacationers, retirees, and those thinking of being a permanent part of the community. In every respect, Smith Mountain Lake meets most needs:
- If you are looking for a quiet lakefront house, a long, long ribbon of shoreline offers many perfect locations.
- If you’re in the market for a cozy and friendly neighborhood that has the amenities that can support an active retirement, SML has an array of communities with an array of housing options.
- Real estate in the area is diverse with affordable prices to boot.
Lakefront houses or condos can start at below six figures for more modest properties and can go up to the seven-figure range for more luxurious properties. Some estates are priced in the eight figures. Undeveloped lots are priced according to location and size.
Living at Smith Mountain Lake
You won’t run out of things to do at Smith Mountain Lake. Among the many recreational activities residents are into are:
· Jet skiing
· Paddle Boarding
To find out more about what’s fun to do at Smith Mountain Lake, take a quick tour of the area. You’ll find a boatload of things to check out. You can go on:
· Microbrew tours
· Farm tours
· Amusement park visits
· Lake cruises
· Sailing tours
For more details, contact real estate expert Mary Lou McDonald at 540.537-3073, email email@example.com or visit www.ml-realty.com. Mary Lou came to Real Estate Brokerage from the corporate world and the position of VP of Corporate Marketing. With her marketing background and business degree, and her vast knowledge of Smith Mountain Lake, you can see how she built a winning company, attracting many satisfied clients.
There is a wealth of opportunities to witness glorious sunsets at Smith Mountain Lake. When the sky gets painted in gradually deepening hues of orange, pink, and purple, it’s a natural phenomenon you wouldn’t want to miss. Here are some suggestions on how to best enjoy Smith Mountain Lake’s most beautiful show.
Go on a night cruise. Whether you’re aboard the historic Virginia Dare, chartered a boat, or you’re on your own craft, going on a night cruise is one of the best ways to enjoy the sunset. It’s awfully romantic too, making a perfect setting for a date. Whether you’re alone or with a significant other, cruising at night allows you to watch the last of the sun’s rays glisten across the lake as it rests behind the Blue Ridge Mountains. It’s a wonderful way to cap off an amazing day at Smith Mountain Lake.
Watch it from the Blue Ridge Parkway. Labeled as one of the country’s most scenic drives, the Blue Ridge Parkway is definitely a place to be to enjoy the sunset. You can take a drive to the parkway and just stop on the side of the road or hike up either one of the parkway’s peaks (Sharp Top, Harkening Hill, and Flat Top) for a more majestic, bird’s eye view. You can do this by yourself or with your favorite group of friends. For an even more relaxing time, bring a cooler loaded with your favorite drinks. Amazing views, great friends, and your favorite cold drink – it’s the perfect combination. Life is good.
Take part in Hickory Hill’s Sunset Saturdays. Hickory Hill Vineyards is one of the best places to get your wine fix. Located in Moneta, just 10 minutes from Mariners Landing Resort, the vineyard hosts their aptly-named Sunset Saturdays. Enjoy the splendor of the setting sun in the vineyard with your favorite bottle of wine and fare as different artists fill the air with good music. For more information on this event, log on to http://www.smlwine.com/calendar/sunset-saturdays.
For many, the promise of an incredibly fun vacation is the light at the end of a 9-to-5 workday tunnel. Deciding on the location, picking the dates, and finalizing accommodations soon become all night research projects likened to senior year thesis preparations. Exhausted and embattled, you may decide to book that generic beach vacation just for the sake of sleep. But before you do, check out this list of FIVE REASONS TO VACATION AT SMITH MOUNTAIN LAKE and you may just discover your new favorite vacation destination.
1. Smith Mountain Lake is Absolutely Gorgeous. If you’re craving a landscape that’s different from your typical beachfront resort, then you will fall in love with Smith Mountain Lake’s postcard worthy setting. Crisp waters nestled against the Blue Ridge Mountains give way to incredible sunrises, sunsets, and photo opportunities sure to make your Instagram feed insanely jealous.
2. It’s Not Crowded. Located in rural southwestern Virginia, Smith Mountain Lake caters to those who prefer a casual, laid-back atmosphere over tourist traps and high-dollar seafood buffets. You’ll seldom wait in line for a table, or have to fight for a spot at the bar.
3. Everyone is Incredibly Nice. Maybe it’s the relaxed pace of life, southern hospitality, or being surrounded by sparkling waters and mountaintops, but Smith Mountain Lake residents are about the nicest people you’ll ever meet. And they love sharing how special the area is to anyone who asks. From the shop owners to the restaurateurs, to the girl ringing up your groceries, Smith Mountain Lake welcomes you home every time you say hello.
4. It’s Affordable. Smith Mountain Lake is home to quite a few attractions that are free to visit. Smith Mountain Lake State Park has a public beach, hiking and biking trails, picnic areas, and boat rentals. There’s also the Smith Mountain Lake Community Park that has two public beaches, walking trails, playgrounds, and covered docks. Historical landmarks, including the Booker T. Washington National Monument and the National D-Day Memorial, are open for visitors with living history demonstrations, exhibits, and scheduled events.
5. Once You’ve Stayed at Mariners Landing Resort, You’ll Come For a Visit and Stay for a Lifetime. If your family is like mine, the kids are always looking for things to do while the adults just want to relax. Mariners is the perfect place for both. The kids can play tennis, ride their bikes on the bike trail, try their luck at fishing from the fishing pier, or swim the whole day in one of the three pools while the adults enjoy the view of the lake from their private balcony, take a stroll on the walking trail, or hang by the pool or by the beach all day. Browse available Smith Mountain Lake rental properties by going to http://www.smlvaca.com. You can choose how many rooms you need and see photos and descriptions of each property. You can book directly on the site from your desktop, laptop, or mobile device and you can request dog-friendly rentals so you don’t have to leave your furry guy at home.
If you’re ready for a vacation that’s different from the same boring beach alternative, then head over to smlvaca.com and start planning your summertime getaway.
Every September, the waters of Smith Mountain Lake fill with classic and antique boats. No, it’s not a film set or a strange flashback. It’s the Annual SML Chapter ACBS Antique Boat Festival & Show! Or, as locals refer to it, the Smith Mountain Lake Boat Show. For years, boat enthusiasts have been coming to the lake to show off their vessels and admire other beauties. Don’t miss this unique event, only at Smith Mountain Lake!
About the Smith Mountain Lake Boat ShowEvery year in mid-September, boaters and boat enthusiasts gather at Mariners Landing for the Smith Mountain Lake Boat Show. This year, the main event will be on Saturday, September 15th. If you have a boat you would like to bring, you can register as a participant. There, you can choose whether you’d like to simply display your boat on the water or have it judged by the Smith Mountain Lake Chapter of the Antique and Classic Boat Society, who throw this great event every year. There is also a Youth Judging Event, where young boat enthusiasts aged 7 to 11 can choose the boat they feel most deserves a special award. This event aims to encourage the next generation of sailors to learn about this great hobby and help preserve the legacy of classic and antique boats. The young judges will be given a crash-course on judging a boat before making their decision.
Register Today!Aside from the opportunity to display one’s boat and have it judged, registrants participate in an exclusive pre-show event. It allows participants to take a look at the other boats on display and enjoy a meal. Registrants can also choose whether they’d like to take a post-show cruise. This is a great opportunity for visitors to Smith Mountain Lake to get a feel of The Jewel of the Blue Ridge.
Attend the Smith Mountain Lake Boat ShowThe event, which takes place on Saturday, September 15, 2018, is free to attend and runs all day. Aside from admiring the incredible vessels, you can also browse through the vendors! They’re selling the latest and greatest in boat supplies and safety gear. Whether you’re an experienced sailor or just starting out, this is a great opportunity to learn about cutting-edge technology in the world of boating.
Stay with Mariners Landing HospitalityWhen you attend the Smith Mountain Lake Boat Show, make sure you’re staying in one of the premier Mariners Landing Resort rentals beautiful nearby properties. You’ll enjoy beautiful sunsets from your deck on the lake, or on the Mariners Landing docks…perfect for hitching your antique or classic boat! You can browse the available rentals by clicking here! We look forward to having you.
Whether you're staying at Mariners Landing Resort or just looking for something to do with your kids, Smith Mountain Lake State Park has a fun activity tomorrow, Friday, July 26th at 10:30 a.m. on their beach. They are providing an opportunity for children to learn more about Monarch butterflies. This is a free event where they will learn about Monarchs, what makes them so special, what they eat and they will even make a caterpillar to take home. After the event, you are invited to visit the butterfly garden at the Discovery Center and see if you can spot a Monarch sipping nectar from the flowers. Make a weekend out of it and book at room at Mariners and enjoy the weekend in the pools, the lake, playing tennis or rent a boat and see if you can spot Monarchs in other areas of the lake!
The D-Day Memorial is a very special place and is a “must see” if you have not yet visited and this Saturday, July 21st, there is a 1940s Homefront Festival, just a short drive from Smith Mountain Lake. A short history on the memorial goes back to June 6th, 1944 when the United States soldiers, in one of the most pivotal battles of World War II, invaded the French coastline in order to propel German soldiers out of Western Europe and lead the way for victory against the tyrants of that era. Dedicated on June 6th, 2001 by president George W. Bush, the National D-Day Memorial was constructed in honor of those who died that day, fighting in one of the most significant battles in our nations history.
Bedford, Virginia…like eleven other Virginia communities, Bedford provided a company of thirty soldiers (Company A) that were activated on February 3, 1941. They were still in that company on D-Day and several more from Bedford were in other D-Day companies. By the day’s end, nineteen of the company’s Bedford soldiers were dead. Two more Bedford soldiers died later in the Normandy campaign, as did yet another two assigned to other 11th Infantry companies. Bedford’s population was about 3,200. Proportionally, this community suffered the nation’s severest D-Day losses. Recognizing Bedford as emblematic of all communities, large and small, whose citizen-soldiers served on D-Day, Congress warranted the establishment of the National D-Day Memorial there. They were forever known as the “Bedford Boys.”
On Saturday, July 21st from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m., you can take a step back in time and experience life in the 1940s! The event will include a WWII Veterans Reunion Tent, WWI and WWII “Profiles of Honor” mobile museum tour, performances by the Star City Starlettes, WWII living history displays, kids activities and crafts, local farm and artisan vendors, food trucks, guided walking tours of the National D-Day Memorial, and more!
Rent a condo at Mariners Landing Resort at Smith Mountain Lake and plan your day at the d-Day Memorial. Admission is free for students and military, and regular admission fees apply to adults. You can click here to plan your visit!